Wednesday, September 10, 2008

lies

here's something i wrote in my math journal after witnessing a classmate lie to the teacher. as boredom with the lesson had already set it, i began observing her rather than taking notes (not very constructive, but what can you do?) feedback anyone?

to spit out the words
matching the rhythm of heartbeat
to a system of muttered flaws
choking on the truth still caught in your throat

clasping moist palms to cold surfaces
eyes dart left. eyes dart right.
the air is thick with answers
visible only when tongue trips, pulse races.

heavy limbs move like molasses
through ever-thinning oxygen
a ticking clock that never existed
sounds more like an eminent explosive

time hangs alone in silence.
you do not speak. you do not move.
muscle meets newly dampened lip
a wayward smile, and you are safe.

thought it might somehow tie in to dante. exploring the sin of lying? rather loose connection but i tried. 

5 comments:

Dona said...

Ilove this poem, boo. Better be at the creative writing meeting on Tuesday after school. Also--I hope others use the blog for a forum for their creative writing as well as their analytical posts.

applesauce said...

I also loved this poem.

Anonymous said...

I like this poem! It got me to thinking about other things that could have a connection with the inferno.

Have you heard the song Love Me Dead by Ludo?? I love that song and when I was listening to it earlier today it reminded me of our talk today in class about the shewolf and how it reminds most of us as a coke addicted prostitute but you feel as though Dante feels bad for her when he says, "... a starved horror ravening and wasted beyond all belief."

If you haven't heard Love Me Dead by Ludo you can listen to it on my blog or you should google it cause I really like it lol.

alwaysconfused said...

I really like this poem. I think you should get it published!

booradley said...

thank you all for the kind words :)